Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Warwick Castle

It seemed as if I had climbed over 1,000 winding stairs to the high towers of Warwick Castle. As I reached the top step of the tallest tower, I caught my breath and looked through the fog at the entire compound and the city beyond. As I looked at the elaborate layout of the castle, it was hard to believe that it was built almost 1,000 years ago! All of the rooms, towers, and stairs were still in tact and open for touring. The view from the tower was beautiful, despite my fear of heights. As we made our way down another set of spiral stairs, we found ourselves in various rooms. After seeing many rooms filled with wax figures, I was startled when a woman dressed in old-fashioned clothes greeted me; I thought she was wax! Besides the many dark rooms, the towers, and the prisoners' dungeon, I also enjoyed the grounds in general. There was a beautiful conservatory and dozens of peacocks roaming the gardens. We were able to get within inches of them to take pictures. Despite the long bus ride and the many stairs climbed, the Warwick Castle was a great place to visit with such an interesting history.
-Mallory Rousseau

No comments:

Post a Comment